Homeowners insurance is an important personal investment to safeguard your house from various crisis, natural calamities, theft, vandalism and catastrophes. However, it is essential to understand the home insurance policy coverage to avoid facing problems while filing claims.
Here are some common types of coverage included in homeowners insurance:
- Dwelling Coverage: Under this, the insurer can claim the cost to repair or rebuild the home, depending upon the policy amount. It covers the cost if the house is damaged due to a covered cause, which may include fire, hailstorm, hurricane, water pipe bursts etc.
- Other Structures Coverage: This provides coverage for any structures that are not a part of the main house but are attached to it by a wall or fence. These may include garages, sheds, gazebos or cottages. Usually, these structures are covered for a specific percent of the total homeowners insurance.
- Contents Coverage: This includes all your personal belongings within the house such as furniture, clothing, expensive gadgets, electronic items etc. In most cases, the homeowners insurance also provides off-premise coverage. This implies that the insurer can claim for the damage caused to his personal belongings while being out of the house. You must ask your insurance agent if your policy covers such losses.
- Liability Protection: Your homeowners insurance also protects you against lawsuits if a guest or tenant suffers an injury while present in your property. It pays for hiring an attorney for defense and other costs related to the legal proceedings.
- Medical Payments: This coverage includes the medical bills incurred by an individual injured on your property. It also pays for an injury that occurs out of the house premises, such as when your dog bites someone. In addition to their current medical bills, the policy also includes future treatment costs such as rehabilitation or surgery.
- Loss Of Use Coverage: When your house is severely damaged due to a covered cause and becomes temporarily inhabitable, your homeowners insurance will pay for your additional living expenses. These include the costs of hotel room, food, transportation and other basic necessities.
- If you are looking for homeowners insurance in McAllen, TX, contact Smith-Reagan Insurance Agency. We offer comprehensive insurance plans with maximum coverage and affordable premium options. For more information, you can call us at (956) 399 – 1353 or visit our office at 148 N. Sam Houston Blvd, San Benito, TX 78586.